Re: Re: PGroonga index-only scan problem with yesterday’s PostgreSQL updates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: PGroonga index-only scan problem with yesterday’s PostgreSQL updates
Date
Re: PGroonga index-only scan problem with yesterday’s PostgreSQL updates  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Anders Kaseorg <andersk@mit.edu> writes:
> On 2/11/22 15:57, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Possibly same issue I just fixed?
>> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=e5691cc9170bcd6c684715c2755d919c5a16fea2

> Yeah, that does seem to fix my test cases.  Thanks!

> Any chance this will make it into minor releases sooner than three
> months from now?  I know extra minor releases are unusual, but this
> regression will be critical at least for self-hosted Zulip users and
> presumably other PGroonga users.

I don't know that we'd go that far ... maybe if another bad problem
turns up.  In the meantime, though, I do have a modest suggestion:
it would not be too hard to put some defenses in place against another
such bug.  The faulty commit was in our tree for a month and nobody
reported a problem, which is annoying.  Do you want to think about doing
your testing against git branch tips, rather than the last released
versions?  Making a new build every few days would probably be plenty
fast enough.

An even slicker answer would be to set up a PG buildfarm machine
that, in addition to the basic tests, builds PGroonga against the
new PG sources and runs your tests.  Andrew's machine "crake" does
that for RedisFDW and BlackholeFDW, and the source code for at least
the latter module is in the buildfarm client distribution.