Re: whats the deal with -u ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: whats the deal with -u ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> I don't remember why it's deprecated.

> The manual explains it:
>     This option is deprecated, as it is conceptually flawed. (Prompting for a
>     non-default user name and prompting for a password because the server
>     requires it are really two different things.) You are encouraged to look
>     at the -U and -W options instead.

Hmm.  The point about the forced password prompt is certainly valid,
but I see nothing wrong with the idea of having an option to prompt
for the username.  What if we just took out the forced password prompt,
on the grounds that you can get that with "-u -W" if you want it?