Re: Restore database from tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Greg Spiegelberg
Subject Re: Restore database from tablespace
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> "dev.pho" <dev.pho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if I could restore the database from the location
>> of the tablespace.
>
> It's not clear exactly what you want to do.  Have you read through
> the documentation on backup and restore?:

I don't know if this was the intent but it did provide me with what I
thought was a good idea.
 * Snapshot a schema / tablespace / database to another schema /
tablespace / database.

The applications for this could be
 * an alternative to the existing backup methods
 * using the copy for testing purposes without having to create-drop database
 * providing stock data for application demos without fear of losing
the original
 * quick recovery to a known good schema and data

Could the mechanics behind pg_start_backup() assist with the
development of such a feature?

It's just a rough idea.

Greg