Re: Partitions and work_mem? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Partitions and work_mem?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Igor Neyman <ineyman@perceptron.com> writes:
> From: Dave Johansen [mailto:davejohansen@gmail.com]
> This conversation has probably become a bit off topic, but my understanding is that what you're paying RedHat for is
astable platform for a long period of time. That means creating/backporting of fixes for security and other critical
issuesfor packages that have been EOLed.
> Assuming the above is true, (which I beleve to be the case https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata ),
Idon't see what would prevent RedHat from making a patch and applying it to the latest 8.4 release to resolve any newly
discoveredissues. Isn't that the whole point of open source and RedHat being able to do with the code what it wishes as
longas it meets the requirements of the license? So are you claiming that RedHat doesn't/won't do this? Is incapable of
doingthis? Or am I missing something?

> Tom Lane is probably better authority on this issue.
> Let’s wait and see what he says.

That is in fact exactly what people pay Red Hat to do, and it was my job
to do it for Postgres when I worked there.  I don't work there any more,
but I'm sure my replacement is entirely capable of back-patching fixes as
needed.

            regards, tom lane