Re: Partitions and work_mem? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Partitions and work_mem?
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Oct 16, 2014 12:58 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Igor Neyman <ineyman@perceptron.com> writes:
> > From: Dave Johansen [mailto:davejohansen@gmail.com]
> > This conversation has probably become a bit off topic, but my understanding is that what you're paying RedHat for is a stable platform for a long period of time. That means creating/backporting of fixes for security and other critical issues for packages that have been EOLed.
> > Assuming the above is true, (which I beleve to be the case https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata ), I don't see what would prevent RedHat from making a patch and applying it to the latest 8.4 release to resolve any newly discovered issues. Isn't that the whole point of open source and RedHat being able to do with the code what it wishes as long as it meets the requirements of the license? So are you claiming that RedHat doesn't/won't do this? Is incapable of doing this? Or am I missing something?
>
> > Tom Lane is probably better authority on this issue.
> > Let’s wait and see what he says.
>
> That is in fact exactly what people pay Red Hat to do, and it was my job
> to do it for Postgres when I worked there.  I don't work there any more,
> but I'm sure my replacement is entirely capable of back-patching fixes as
> needed.

Do they backpatch everything, or just things like security issues? (in sure they can do either, but do you know what the policy says?)

Either way it does also mean that the support requests for such versions would need to go to redhat rather than the community lists at some point - right now their 8.4 would be almost the same as ours, but down the road they'll start separating more and more of course.

For the op - of you haven't already, is suggest you take a look at yum.postgresql.org which will get you a modern, supported, postgresql version for rhel 6. Regardless of the support, you get all the other improvements in postgresql.

/Magnus