Re: On login trigger: take three - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: On login trigger: take three
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 6:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It looks to me that what happened here is that the backend completed the
>> authentication handshake, and then the login trigger caused a FATAL exit,
>> and after than the connected psql session tried to send "SELECT 1" on
>> an already-closed pipe.  That failed, causing IPC::Run to panic.

Looking closer, what must have happened is that the psql session ended
before IPC::Run could jam 'SELECT 1' into its stdin.  I wonder if this
could be stabilized by doing 'psql -c "SELECT 1"' and not having to
write anything to the child process stdin?  But I'm not sure this test
case is valuable enough to put a great deal of work into.

>> mamba is a fairly slow machine and doubtless has timing a bit different
>> from what this test was created on.  But I doubt there is any way to make
>> this behavior perfectly stable across a range of machines, so I recommend
>> just removing the test case involving a fatal exit.

> Makes sense.  Are you good with the attached patch?

OK by me, though I note you misspelled "mallory" in the comment.