Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hmm, after looking at src/port/kill.c it doesn't seem like there's much
>> of a problem with doing that.  I had had the idea that our kill
>> emulation only worked within the backend environment, but of course
>> pg_ctl wouldn't work if that were so.  So this is easier than I thought.

> Yeah, kill works fine from non-backend as long as the *receiver* has
> our backend environment.

I have another question after thinking about that for awhile: is there
any security concern there?  On Unix-oid systems, we expect the kernel
to restrict who can do a kill() on a postgres process.  If there's any
similar restriction on who can send to that named pipe in the Windows
version, it's not obvious from the code.  Do we have/need any
restriction there?