Re: High volume inserts - more disks or more CPUs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Wollny
Subject Re: High volume inserts - more disks or more CPUs?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

From my experience, it's generally a good idea to have as many disks as possible - CPU is secondary. Having enough RAM
sothat at least the frequently accessed parts of your db data including the indexes fit completely into memory is also
agood idea.

> (3) If we go with more disks, should we attempt to split
> tables and indexes onto different drives (i.e., tablespaces),
> or just put all the disks in hardware RAID5 and use a single
> tablespace?

RAID5 is not an optimum choice for a database; switch to RAID0+1 if you can afford the disk space lost - this yields
muchbetter insert performance than RAID5, as there's no parity calculation involved. There's another performance gain
tobe achieved by moving the WAL-files to another RAID-set than the database files; splitting tablespaces across
RAID-setsusually won't do much for you in terms of performance, but might be convenient when you think about scaling in
size.

Kind regards

   Markus