Re: tsearch2, ispell, utf-8 and german special characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Wollny
Subject Re: tsearch2, ispell, utf-8 and german special characters
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

I managed to resolve the issue with the unrecognized stop-word 'aber': The stopword-file was utf-8-encoded WITH a Byte
OrderMark (BOM) - which is not recognized correctly (i.e. ignored), so the first word of the stopword-file, which is
'aber'was not recognized correctly. After removing the BOM, 'aber' was correctly filtered out as a stop-word.

The issue with the unrecognized stop-word 'ein' which is converted by to_tsvector to 'eint' remains however. Now here's
asmuch detail as I can provide:

We're using PostgreSQL 7.4.3, initdb'ed to a de_DE.utf8 locale; the database is in UNICODE encoding. I used the
tsearch2-moduleprovided in the /contrib-directory of the pg7.3.4-sources; I applied the patch from
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/regprocedure_7.4.patch.gz.OS is SuSE 7.3, LC_ALL and all other
locale-variablesare set to de_DE.utf8. Ispell is Version 3.1.20 10/10/95, patch 1.

Here's my tsearch2-config:
select * from pg_ts_cfg:
    ts_name;prs_name;locale
    default;default;C
    default_russian;default;ru_RU.KOI8-R
    simple;default;
    default_german;default;de_DE.utf8

select * from pg_ts_cfgmap where ts_name='default_german':
    ts_name;tok_alias;dict_name
    default_german;url;{simple}
    default_german;host;{simple}
    default_german;sfloat;{simple}
    default_german;uri;{simple}
    default_german;int;{simple}
    default_german;float;{simple}
    default_german;email;{simple}
    default_german;word;{simple}
    default_german;hword;{simple}
    default_german;nlword;{simple}
    default_german;nlpart_hword;{simple}
    default_german;part_hword;{simple}
    default_german;nlhword;{simple}
    default_german;file;{simple}
    default_german;uint;{simple}
    default_german;version;{simple}
    default_german;lhword;{de_ispell}
    default_german;lpart_hword;{de_ispell}
    default_german;lword;{de_ispell}

select * from pg_ts_dict:
    dict_name;dict_init;dict_initoption;dict_lexize;dict_comment
    simple;dex_init(text);;dex_lexize(internal,internal,integer);Simple example of dictionary.

en_stem;snb_en_init(text);/var/lib/pgsql/data/base/contrib/english.stop;snb_lexize(internal,internal,integer);English
Stemmer.Snowball.

ru_stem;snb_ru_init(text);/var/lib/pgsql/data/base/contrib/russian.stop;snb_lexize(internal,internal,integer);Russian
Stemmer.Snowball.
    ispell_template;spell_init(text);;spell_lexize(internal,internal,integer);ISpell interface. Must have .dict and
.afffiles
    synonym;syn_init(text);;syn_lexize(internal,internal,integer);Example of synonym dictionary

de_ispell;spell_init(text);DictFile="/usr/lib/ispell/german.med",AffFile="/usr/lib/ispell/german.aff",StopFile="/var/lib/pgsql/data/base/contrib/german.stop";spell_lexize(internal,internal,integer);

select * from pg_ts_parser:
    prs_name;prs_start;prs_nexttoken;prs_end;prs_headline;prs_lextype;prs_comment

default;prsd_start(internal,integer);prsd_getlexeme(internal,internal,internal);prsd_end(internal);prsd_headline(internal,internal,internal);prsd_lextype(internal);Parser
fromOpenFTS v0.34
ISpell-Dictionary:
To generate the german ISpell-Dictionary, I did
wget http://j3e.de/ispell/igerman98/dict/igerman98-20030222.tar.bz2
bunzip2 igerman98-20030222.tar.bz2
tar -xvf igerman98-20030222.tar
cd igerman98-20030222
joe Makefile
[ there I set
LANG = de_DE.utf8
LC_ALL = de_DE.utf8
LC_COLLATE = de_DE.utf8
]
make
make install
sort -u -t/ +0f -1 +0 -T /usr/tmp -o german.med all.words
cp german.med /usr/lib/ispell/
The stopwords-file is just a plain text-file in UTF-8 encoding with one word per line, like this:
aber
alle
allem
allen
aller
[...]
wollen
wollte
zu
zum
zur
zwar
zwischen

All in all that's 262 words, one on each line. Though the ß-characters (sharp s) in the file looks broken when doing
catgerman.stop, everything looks fine in vim and I can enter the character correctly on the commandline - I suspect
there'ssomething wrong with my SSH terminal (PuTTY) or some misconfiguration between bash and PuTTY.

I hope I have provided all the necessary information needed to help me clarify whether or not to deploy tsearch2 or
whatto do in order to receive consistent results. I'd be happy to contribute to the docs for implementing tsearch2 for
agerman unicode database, once all issues are resolved.

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards

    Markus