Re: Severe problems with ColdFusion 5, ODBC and PostgreSQL 7.2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Markus Wollny
Subject Re: Severe problems with ColdFusion 5, ODBC and PostgreSQL 7.2.1
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi!

Maximum number of connections in postgresql.conf is more than sufficient
and we configured the CF-Servers to use connection pooling so they
cannot reach the limit set in postgresql.conf. I don't think that this
is the cause of my troubles.

Regards,

Markus

    -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
    Von: mlw
    Gesendet: Sa 10.08.2002 17:09
    An: Markus Wollny
    Cc: pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
    Betreff: Re: [ODBC] Severe problems with ColdFusion 5, ODBC and
PostgreSQL 7.2.1

    Markus Wollny wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > We've recently migrated our frontend database from Oracle on
Win2k to
    > PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on SuSE Linux 7.2.1. Everything is running -
most of
    > the time. But about once every hour, at least one of our three
    > webservers running ColdFusion 5 is throwing one of the
following errors:

    > ODBC Error Code = IM005 (Driver's SQLAllocConnect failed)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Fehler beim
SQLAllocHandle-Aufruf für
    > Treiber auf SQL_HANDLE_DBC.
    > (Error calling SQLAllocHandle for Driver on SQL_HANDLE_DBC).
    >
    > respectively:
    >
    > ODBC Error Code = S1000 (General error)
    > The database does not exist on the server or user
authentication failed.

    > I've got to restart the ColdFusion Application Server service
in the
    > services control panel before the server starts working again.
It seems
    > like it just forgets how to connect to the databases from one
moment to
    > the next. I don't really know what exactly is going on, so
could anyone
    > give me some hints on how to determine the cause of all this
and how to
    > resolve the issue?
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Markus

    Check the postgresql.conf file for the maximum number of
connections.

    It has been my experience that postgresql is not very well tuned
out of the
    box. It is a great system, and I have no doubts about its
capability, but it
    usually needs to be tweaked a little after a default install.