Re: memory paramters for building indexes

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: memory paramters for building indexes
Date: ,
List: pgsql-novice

Shreya Bhargava <> writes:
> for each of the above value, I created a hash index on a 1.17GB table.

Hash index build doesn't have any need for workspace, so it will not go
faster with larger work_mem.  Try it with a regular btree index.

> Am i missing something?

Have you read the statements in the manual that discourage you from
using hash indexes at all?  Our current implementation of them has
no known advantages over a btree, and several major disadvantages.

            regards, tom lane