Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sleepless
Subject Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud
Date
List pgsql-general

Sanjay Arora wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Is it possible to host postgreSQL on Amazon's cloud? What are the issues
> involved?
>
> With best regards.
> Sanjay.

You create postgres on EC2 in the same way you would on any Linux server.  I
created one on the Amazon-Fedora AMI about a year and half ago by uploading
the binaries for postgres and compiling. No problems.  I compiled to insure
compatibility with the OS and processor. At the time, all of Amazon's AMIs
were 32 bit even though the processors were 64 bit. I don't know if that has
changed.  You don't need S3 to run postgres, but S3 provides a convenient
storage for backups and S3 is where you store your customized AMIs.

My concerns at the time were the one spindle per processor limitation (since
changed), no permanent IP (since changed) and concerns about losing the
database if the processor or anything else hiccuped.  The last concern has
been addressed with the advent of Elastic Blocks. So we are about to try it
all again and see if it will work for us.

-Cheers