Re: Building on S390 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Building on S390
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> According to the Debian build logs, postgres-xc compiles the entire
>> backend with -fPIC.  Not sure what sense that makes.

> Debian policy is to always use -fPIC

> IIRC -fpic is good enough as long as the total size of the library is below
> some limit. I'm not sure precisely what this size is that has to be below
> the limit but if I recall correctly it's something you have no way to
> determine in advance for a general purpose library. So Debian decided long
> long ago to just use -fPIC always.

Well, in that case they did a really crappy job of applying that policy to
their Postgres packages, because it sure sounds like there's still some
-fpic switches laying about in their builds.  But in any case, that
seems to me like a pretty brain-dead policy (hint: if you need -fPIC,
you'll get build failures that tell you so), so I feel no need to adopt
it for standard Postgres builds.