Initializing variables from SQL query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jc_mich
Subject Initializing variables from SQL query
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all

I'm new in PL/PGSQL developing, I'm trying to initialize a variable from a
SQL query, this query counts some rows, I've made the next code, but it
doesn't work.

CREATE FUNCTION schema.myFunction() RETURNS BOOLEAN AS $$
DECLARE
    counter RECORD;
BEGIN
    SELECT * INTO STRICT counter FROM (SELECT COUNT (DISTINCT (rows)) FROM
schema.table);

I'm pretty annoyed, because I've found some examples that use this kind of
variable initialization.

Is there someone who know what I did wrong?

Thanks!