Re: RC3 ... anyone have anything left outstanding? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RC3 ... anyone have anything left outstanding?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Thomas?  Did I miss your patch for the 'WITH TIMEZONE' regression test?

Still not there in CVS ...

> Does anyone else have anything left outstanding that should hold me off
> from doing an RC3 tomorrow?

Other than a better answer for the horology test, I think we are good
to go.  The main thing that was still bothering me was Konstantin
Solodovnikov's report of database corruption.  I just committed a fix
for the primary cause of that problem: turns out he was triggering a
random transfer of control inside plpgsql.  (Calling through a
previously freed function pointer is uncool...)  I'm guessing that the
ensuing corruption of the database can be blamed on whatever bit of code
managed to misexecute before the backend crashed completely.  This is
plausible because he reports that he only saw corruption in perhaps one
out of every several hundred repetitions of the crash --- it makes sense
that you'd need to mistransfer just so to result in writing junk XLOG
entries or whatever was the direct cause of the data corruption.

Vadim is still poking at the test case Konstantin sent, but I'll bet
he won't be able to reproduce any corruption.  The effects of jumping
through an overwritten function pointer would be exceedingly
system-specific.