Re: Sun Studio on Linux spinlock patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Sun Studio on Linux spinlock patch
Date
Re: Sun Studio on Linux spinlock patch  (Julius Stroffek <Julius.Stroffek@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-patches
Julius Stroffek <Julius.Stroffek@Sun.COM> writes:
> I have made PostgreSQL to compile on linux using sun studio with
> spinlock support. The patch is attached. Here is the explanation of
> changes I made:

This patch seems broken in a number of ways.  Why are you removing
-DLINUX_PROFILE, for example?  Are you sure you don't need -D_GNU_SOURCE?
And why add -DSUNOS4_CC, which is a Solaris-specific define (not that
we seem to be using it anywhere anymore)?  Do we really have to have a
configure-time probe to detect this particular compiler?

But I guess the *real* question is why anyone would care ... what
benefit is there to using Sun's compiler on Linux?

            regards, tom lane