Re: Unresponsive vacuum process - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unresponsive vacuum process
Date
Re: Unresponsive vacuum process  (<wespvp@syntegra.com>)
List pgsql-general
"Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> I have a 7.2.1 backend running VACUUM which appears to be blocking all other
> processes.  I have issued SIGTERM and SIGINT directly to that backend and
> also killed the client process, but the VACUUM continues chewing up CPU and
> blocking others.

Hmph.  AFAICS 7.2 does contain CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPT calls within all the
major VACUUM loops, so it should respond to SIGINT in a reasonably
timely fashion.  I'd think it was blocked on someone else's lock if it
weren't that you say it's still consuming CPU.  Can you attach to the
troublesome backend with gdb and get a stack trace to show where it is?

            regards, tom lane