Re: SELECT from multiple tables (not join though) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank D. Engel, Jr.
Subject Re: SELECT from multiple tables (not join though)
Date
List pgsql-general

As for the first part, try this:

(SELECT file_name FROM file_info_1 WHERE file_name = '/') UNION
(SELECT file_name FROM file_info_2 WHERE file_parent_dir = '/') UNION
(SELECT file_name FROM file_info_3 WHERE file_parent_dir = '/')

As for sorting the combined results, it would be along the lines of the
following, although I suspect I am missing something here (untested, if
it doesn't work, someone else might know how to fix it for you):

SELECT file_name
FROM ((SELECT file_name FROM file_info_1 WHERE file_name = '/') UNION
               (SELECT file_name FROM file_info_2 WHERE file_parent_dir
= '/') UNION
               (SELECT file_name FROM file_info_3 WHERE file_parent_dir
= '/')) AS a
ORDER BY file_name

On Jan 10, 2005, at 12:22 PM, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I have another question, I hope it isn't too basic. ^.^
>
>   I want to do a select from multiple tables but not join them. What I
> am trying to do is something like this (though this doesn't work as I
> need):
>
> SELECT a.file_name, b.file_name, c.file_name FROM file_info_1 a,
> file_info_2 b, file_info_3 c WHERE a.file_name='/' AND
> b.file_parent_dir='/' AND c.file_parent_dir='/';
>
>   That returns every combination of the results from the three tables
> which is a huge number. What I need is to return all of the matches in
> all of the tables in a single column. Once I have all the matches in
> one column the next trick is to sort the combined results (any tips
> there?).
>
>   I hope the question was clear. Please let me know if it wasn't.
> Thanks!
>
> Madison

Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101@fjrhome.net>

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual