Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date
Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> Even so, a web search for "extend_brk" led to the answer.  By default, 32-bit
> AIX binaries get only 256M of RAM for stack and sbrk.  The new regression test
> used more than that, hence this crash.

Hm, so

(1) Why did we get a crash and not some more-decipherable out-of-resources
error?  Can we improve that experience?

(2) Should we be dialing back the resource consumption of this test?
Even on machines where it doesn't fail outright, I'd imagine that it's
costing a lot of buildfarm cycles.  Is it actually worth that?