Re: Question regarding clock-sweep - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question regarding clock-sweep
Date
Re: Question regarding clock-sweep
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Now that I'm beginning serious performance testing of clock-sweep, I
> was going back through the lock discussion and am not sure what the
> patch that actually went in 3 weeks ago consisted of.  Is it
> clock-sweep with a used/unused bit or a counter?  How is it handling
> seq scans?

It's clock-sweep with a counter.  The counter increments on reference,
up to a small maximum value (BM_MAX_USAGE_COUNT in buf_internals.h),
and decrements when the clock hand passes over the buffer.  I'd be
interested to see trials with different values of BM_MAX_USAGE_COUNT
... I made it 5 to start with but that was a WAG.

There's not any special smarts for seqscans, but the counter should
handle that.

> Oh, and incidentally, can I use the same database files for 8.0.2 and 8.1cvs
> 3/10/05?

Sorry, we forced initdb already several times...