Re: [BUGS] BUG #4680: Server crashed if using wrong (mismatch) conversion functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #4680: Server crashed if using wrong (mismatch) conversion functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Looks ok to me. I'm still a bit uneasy about the assumption that the
> error message is 7-bit ACII. Maybe that's just because I don't fully
> understand all the conditions how we can end up in recursion, so I would
> still put something into pq_send_raw_string to check that the string
> really is 7-bit ASCII. Just in case. Maybe clear all the high bits, or
> replace non-ASCII characters with question marks.

Throwing an error is not the answer --- we only get here after we've
already failed to do that, repeatedly.  But it's certainly not a path
that requires high performance, so I have no problem with the
replace-non-ascii-with-question-mark idea.  Will make it so.