Re: How to find out programmatically whether a query on a view will use an index? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to find out programmatically whether a query on a view will use an index?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Martin Schäfer <Martin.Schaefer@cadcorp.com> writes:
> Using 'EXPLAIN SELECT ...' does tell me whether the spatial index is used,
> but the output is not machine readable. I guess the output is localized to
> the current locale,

AFAIK it's not localized, so grepping for "Index" would probably work.

> Is there no way to get a machine readable query plan?

No, and no such API is likely to be defined in the future either,
because we reserve the right to change plan structures at any time.
        regards, tom lane