Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 3 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 3
Date
List pgsql-patches
ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> Thank you for applying, but sorry, my patch has some incompletions.

I'm busy reviewing/reworking this patch, and will deal with these items.

>   2. Add a comment on the average FSM request size. Now, the size
>      contains not only the size of tuples, but also freespace on pages.

Yeah, I noticed this and thought it was probably a pretty bad idea:
it plays hob with the notion of tracking a moving average of freespace
requests.  I'm not sure what else to do though.  Do we want the FSM to
explicitly account for fillfactor, and if so how exactly?  There's
certainly no point in returning a page that doesn't have space for the
fillfactor padding.

            regards, tom lane