Re: how to: refer to select list calculations other places in the calculations. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From the6campbells
Subject Re: how to: refer to select list calculations other places in the calculations.
Date
List pgsql-sql
SQL (unlike MDX) does not allow you to define an expressions and reference it elsewhere in the same block by name. As suggested, a hand written or auto-generated statement can try to refactor the statement by pushing things into a derived table and the outer blocks refer to the projected item names. Not only can this make the SQL more readable it can assist some vendors who internally may not do a great job of common expression factoring. This is one reason why common table expressions are used.

For example, if you are in report studio, you can copy the data items into another Bi-Query which you reference from the query that consumes it.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Bernd Nawothnig <Bernd.Nawothnig@t-online.de> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 08:27:35AM -0500, Little, Douglas wrote:

> I have very complex sql (generated by cognos) I'm porting from
> Teradata that basically uses column alias in the calculated columns.
> Is there any way to do this type of thing in Psql?

I use nested subqueries and do the renaming of calculated columns in the
innermost queries in such cases.

Bernd