Re: Compression Library and Usages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Compression Library and Usages
Date
Re: Compression Library and Usages  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Compression Library and Usages  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> plus, it looks like that most of the patents have either expired, or
> are about to expire.  lzo is used all over the place, including the
> linux kernel...i think the burden of proof rests with anyone claiming
> there are patent problems, not the other way around.  lzo is also gpl
> so we can't use it :D.  regarding fastlz and patents, who knows?  I'm
> curious...does anyone know of a case where a high profile open source
> project was found to be violating a patent?

You have got that 100% backwards.  We are not going to bet the survival
of the Postgres project on whether we can get away with violating
somebody's patent.