Re: Compression Library and Usages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Compression Library and Usages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> wrote:
>

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2009-08/msg00053.php
>>
>> I knew I was forgetting about something, thanks for the reminder.
>> Damn it, patents.
>
> I'm not sure that there was anything there which absolutely ruled
> out using LZ0; all of the patents still in effect seemed to be
> around picky little details of *how* you use it.  Others seem to
> have picked their way through that particular mine field.

plus, it looks like that most of the patents have either expired, or
are about to expire.  lzo is used all over the place, including the
linux kernel...i think the burden of proof rests with anyone claiming
there are patent problems, not the other way around.  lzo is also gpl
so we can't use it :D.  regarding fastlz and patents, who knows?  I'm
curious...does anyone know of a case where a high profile open source
project was found to be violating a patent?

merlin