Re: Query planner issue with preferring primary key over a better index when using ORDER BY and LIMIT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Query planner issue with preferring primary key over a better index when using ORDER BY and LIMIT
Date
Re: Query planner issue with preferring primary key over a better index when using ORDER BY and LIMIT  (Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2021-12-06 at 10:19 -0700, Rob Sargent wrote:
To be clear, is it the devs or the ORM that's adding the ORDER  and the
LIMIT?  I'm betting on devs.  Do they need the smallest id (first
occurrance?) or do they need data common to all 5096 entries (Name?) and
any record will do?.  For the former they might be better off asking for
just the attributes they need and for the latter you need to provide an
option which gets them that single record.  Of course, If they have the
"smallest id" in hand they should request that.

That assumes I could figure what bit of ORM code is generating this, talk to them, and then get them to actually think about what data they're looking for and it's impact on the database. :/ Given my 25 year track record with devs, I'm thinking of that as plan B. Hopefully though if they're looking for something common to all the records they would look at the parent table instead.

I do expect the dev actually specified the order/limit for some reason.

Thank you for the suggestions.