Re: [HACKERS] Help: fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Help: fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy@druid.net> writes:

>> oprrest and oprjoin

> OK, I did this and it worked.  I'll go work on the documentation now.

OK, I see the problem: btreesel() and friends blithely assume that the
operator used in an index will have a selectivity function (oprrest).

I can see two reasonable fixes: * Default to an 0.5 estimate if no oprrest link (this is what the   optimizer does for
operatorsthat have no oprrest). * Generate an error message along the lines of "index operators must   have a
restrictionselectivity estimator", if we think that they   really really oughta.

I'm not sure which way to jump.  The former would be more friendly for
people just starting to develop index support for a new data type ...
but then they might never realize that lack of an estimator is hurting
performance for them.  Comments?