Re: Problem with PITR recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I was thinking of the archiver filling because of lots of almost-empty
> 16mb files.  If you archive every five seconds, it is 11 Gigs/hour,
> which is not too bad, I guess, but I would bet compression would save
> space and I/O load too.

If you wanted to archive every few seconds, it would be worth cutting
the size of the segment files.  At the moment I believe the segment
size is a pg_config_manual.h configuration item.  Not sure if it would
be practical to make it run-time configurable, but in any case doing that
would help a lot for people who want short archive cycles.

But really, if that is the concern, I'd think you'd want Slony or some
other near-real-time replication mechanism.  PITR is designed for people
for whom some-small-number-of-minutes is close enough.