Re: Analysis of ganged WAL writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Analysis of ganged WAL writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Curtis Faith" <curtis@galtair.com> writes:
> I'm not really worried about doing page-in reads because the disks internal
> buffers should contain most of the blocks surrounding the end of the log
> file. If the successive partial writes exceed a block (which they will in
> heavy use) then most of the time this won't be a problem anyway since the
> disk will gang the full blocks before writing.

You seem to be willing to make quite a large number of assumptions about
what the disk hardware will do or not do.  I trust you're going to test
your results on a wide range of hardware before claiming they have any
general validity ...