Re: Slow join using network address function - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Slow join using network address function
Date
Re: Slow join using network address function  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-performance
"Eric Jain" <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch> writes:
>> <http://word-to-the-wise.com/ipr.tgz> is a datatype that contains
>> a range of IPv4 addresses, and which has the various operators to
>> make it GIST indexable.

> Great, this looks very promising.

>> No cast operators between ipr and inet types.

> Any way to work around this, short of dumping and reloading tables?

Wouldn't it be better to implement the GIST indexing operators of that
package on the standard datatypes?  It wasn't apparent to me what "range
of IP addresses" does for you that isn't covered by "CIDR subnet" for
real-world cases.

            regards, tom lane