Re: Proposal: Integrity check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: Integrity check
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> I would like to make following modification:

> 1) Add ReadBuffer_noerror (recommend me better name) function which will
> accept damaged page without Error. This page will be marked as corrupted
> and when ReadBuffer will touch this page then it will be handled in
> standard way.

This seems like a pretty horrid idea.  Bad pages shouldn't be allowed to
get into shared buffers in the first place.  Why not have the checking
logic operate outside shared buffers?

> 3) Add PageHeaderIsValid check also for write operation

> In production it should catch problem with memory or software bugs. In
> development it should catch memory overwriting.

Is there any evidence whatsoever to demonstrate that this is worth the
cycles it will eat?