Re: pg_restore fails on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Tom Tom wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:

> server

> is
> >> as

> in

> >> RHEL4,
> >> dependency
> >> of
> >> backup

> >> seconds apart)
> >> parameter "checkpoint_segments".
> >> seconds apart)
> >> parameter "checkpoint_segments".
> >> seconds apart)
> >> parameter "checkpoint_segments".
> >> seconds apart)
> >> parameter "checkpoint_segments".
> >> seconds apart)
> >> parameter "checkpoint_segments".
> >> seconds apart)
> >> parameter "checkpoint_segments".
> >> seconds apart)
> >> parameter "checkpoint_segments".
> >> 10. The restore still failed however :(
> >> starting/stopping the pg service.
> >>
> >> That's rather strange. There really should be *something* in the logs
> >> there. Hmm.
> >>
> >> Does this happen for just this one dump, or does it happen for all dumps
> >> you create on this machine (for example, can you dump single tables and
> >> get those to come through - thus isolating the issue to one table or so)?
> >>

> > So after all I was able to isolate the issue to one table/one row. Now I have
> one small dump that (if trying to restore) positively fails on windows system
> (tested on 3 machines with winXP, PG 8.1.10) and passes through on Linux (tested
> on RHEL4, PG 8.1.9). Logs on the db side shows no relevant information, neither
> pg_restore.
> > Seems that this is a base for a bug report.
>
> Yup.
> Can you set up a reproducible test-case that doesn't involve your data,
> just the specific table definitions and test data?
>
> If not, can you send me a copy of the dump (off-list) and I can see if I
> can find something out from it.

OK, first, thank you for your efforts in this case.

Windows test case:
- PG 8.1.10 was installed on the Windows XP Professional machine w. 2G memory, using the standard msi installer from
postgresql.org.No special db setting/tuning was made after the installation.

- database "config" was created using pgAdmin tool, using template1
CREATE DATABASE "config"
  WITH OWNER = postgres
       ENCODING = 'UTF8'
       TABLESPACE = pg_default;

- table "hibtableattachmentxmldata" was created
CREATE TABLE hibtableattachmentxmldata
(
  xmldata_id varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  xmldata text,
  blobdata bytea
)
WITHOUT OIDS;
ALTER TABLE hibtableattachmentxmldata OWNER TO postgres;

- test row was inserted using the Java client code
INSERT INTO hibtableattachmentxmldata VALUES (?,?,?)
where value 1 is "1111"
value 2 is 25MB (i.e. 1024*1024*25) long text of char 'F' (0x46)
value 3 is 25MB (i.e. 1024*1024*25) long byte array filled with values of 5 (0x5)

- the db dump was made by
pg_dump -F c -C --username=postgres --inserts --file c:\Share\trial.backup config

- the hibtableattachmentxmldata was dropped by
  DROP TABLE hibtableattachmentxmldata

- the restore was performed
pg_restore -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -d config -v "c:\Share\trial.backup"

-the output was:
pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
Password:
pg_restore: creating SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating COMMENT SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating TABLE hibtableattachmentxmldata
pg_restore: restoring data for table "hibtableattachmentxmldata"
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: no result from server
pg_restore: *** aborted because of error

If it is of any help, I can provide the related test dump or test Java client code off-list.

Tomas