Re: BUG #12832: pg_dump ERROR with temporary functions - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #12832: pg_dump ERROR with temporary functions
Date
List pgsql-bugs
marko@joh.to writes:
> We've occasionally been having a problem where a script does roughly this:

> psql -d dbname -c "CREATE TEMPORARY FUNCTION pg_temp.foo() AS ..; <run a
> query using the temporary function a number of times>"
> pg_dump -d dbname

> And the pg_dump call ERRORs out like this:

> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  cache lookup failed for
> function 2540046
> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query was: SELECT tableoid, oid, proname, prolang,
> pronargs, proargtypes, prorettype, proacl, pronamespace,
> pg_catalog.pg_get_function_identity_arguments(oid) AS proiargs,(SELECT
> rolname FROM pg_catalog.pg_roles WHERE oid = proowner) AS rolname FROM
> pg_proc p WHERE NOT proisagg AND (pronamespace != (SELECT oid FROM
> pg_namespace WHERE nspname = 'pg_catalog')
>   AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM pg_depend WHERE classid =
> 'pg_proc'::regclass AND objid = p.oid AND deptype = 'i'))

I think the core of the problem here is an ill-advised decision to use
pg_get_function_identity_arguments() at all in the first query.  The
result is only used for sorting objects, and we could surely do that
another way.

            regards, tom lane