Re: Timestamp precision - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timestamp precision
Date
List pgsql-general
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Schildknecht?= <stephane.schildknecht@postgresqlfr.org> writes:
> In fact, I wonder why a date ranging from somme 4000 BC to 30000 AC is
> stored as a reference to the 1st january of 2000. Is it because that day
> is some "close to actual time" date ?

The restriction to 4713BC comes from the Julian-date calendar
manipulation algorithms, not from the possible range of the underlying
integer or float.

> And so, what do you mean by "within a few years"?

It means we didn't bother to write out the math.  If you know the
precision of float8 on your hardware (2^-53 for IEEE) you can work
it out for yourself...

            regards, tom lane