Re: [INTERFACES] libpq PQftype() to comprehend types? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] libpq PQftype() to comprehend types?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Michael Olivier <mo@local2me.com> writes:
> Can someone tell me how I can use PQftype() or some other mechanism to
> interpret a query result in terms of the data types of the columns?

The PQftype value is the OID of the row for the type in the system
pg_type catalog.  Try

    SELECT * FROM pg_type WHERE oid = <PQftype result>

BTW: oid's for the predefined types are consistent across installations,
but oid's for user-defined types are not (and shouldn't even be trusted
across a save/reload).

            regards, tom lane