Re: Test request for Stats collector performance improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Test request for Stats collector performance improvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 1)  Run this script and record the time reported:
>     ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/stat.script

One thing you neglected to specify is that the test must be done on a
NON ASSERT CHECKING build of CVS HEAD (or recent head, at least).
On these trivial "SELECT 1" commands, an assert-checking backend is
going to spend over 50% of its time doing end-of-transaction assert
checks.  I was reminded of this upon trying to do oprofile:

CPU: P4 / Xeon with 2 hyper-threads, speed 2793.03 MHz (estimated)
Counted GLOBAL_POWER_EVENTS events (time during which processor is not stopped)
with a unit mask of 0x01 (mandatory) count 240000
samples  %        symbol name
129870   37.0714  AtEOXact_CatCache
67112    19.1571  AllocSetCheck
16611     4.7416  AtEOXact_Buffers
10054     2.8699  base_yyparse
7499      2.1406  hash_seq_search
7037      2.0087  AllocSetAlloc
4267      1.2180  hash_search
4060      1.1589  AtEOXact_RelationCache
2537      0.7242  base_yylex
1984      0.5663  grouping_planner
1873      0.5346  LWLockAcquire
1837      0.5244  AllocSetFree
1808      0.5161  exec_simple_query
1763      0.5032  ExecutorStart
1527      0.4359  PostgresMain
1464      0.4179  MemoryContextAllocZeroAligned

Let's be sure we're all measuring the same thing.