Re: [HACKERS] eval_const_expresisions and ScalarArrayOpExpr - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] eval_const_expresisions and ScalarArrayOpExpr
Date
Re: [HACKERS] eval_const_expresisions and ScalarArrayOpExpr  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> On 05/11/2017 06:21 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, I think it's a lack-of-round-tuits situation.  Your patch reminds
>> me of a more ambitious attempt I made awhile back to reduce the amount
>> of duplicative boilerplate in eval_const_expressions.  I think I wrote
>> it during last year's beta period, stashed it because I didn't feel like
>> arguing for applying it right then, and then forgot about it.

> Hmph, now we're almost in beta period again. :-(.

Actually, I now remember that I wrote that while at Salesforce (because
they'd run into the problem that constant ArrayRef expressions weren't
simplified).  So that means it's been languishing in a git branch for
*two* years.  I'm kind of inclined to push it before it gets forgotten
again ;-)

Looking at the patch, it still seems solid, but I remember that one
thing I was concerned about was whether the more generalized code
was any slower.  Not sure about a good test case to measure that
though --- const-simplification isn't a large chunk of most workloads.