Re: Page-level version upgrade (was: Block-level CRC checks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Page-level version upgrade (was: Block-level CRC checks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> This whole discussion is based on assumptions which do not match my
> recollection of the old discussion. I would suggest people go back and
> read the emails but it's clear at least some people have so it seems
> people get different things out of those old emails. My recollection
> of Tom and Heikki's suggestions for Zdenek were as follows:

> 1) When 8.9.0 comes out we also release an 8.8.x which contains a new
> guc which says to prepare for an 8.9 update.

Yeah, I think the critical point is not to assume that the behavior of
the old system is completely set in stone.  We can insist that you must
update to at least point release .N before beginning the migration
process.  That gives us a chance to backpatch code that makes
adjustments to the behavior of the old server, so long as the backpatch
isn't invasive enough to raise stability concerns.