Re: xmlconcat (was 9.0 release notes done) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: xmlconcat (was 9.0 release notes done)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items

> I have just been looking at the xmlconcat bug on that list. I can't
> think of any better solution than parsing the resulting string to make
> sure it is well-formed before we return,

That might be a reasonable thing to do as a safety check, but I can't
escape the feeling that what this fundamentally is is a data typing
error, traceable to the lack of differentiation between xml documents
and xml fragments.  Is there a way to attack it based on saying that the
inputs can't be documents, or stripping the document overhead if they are?