AW: AW: SQL3 UNDER - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: AW: SQL3 UNDER
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > When calling functions with a class argument they do pass
> all attributes
> > of subclasses to it. They use late function binding, so you
> can define
> > different functions for different subclasses having the same name.
> > They only show parent columns when doing 'select * from
> class' that has
> > subclasses.
>
> That's what we are planning also, to return all columns current
> favourite syntax to use is 'select ** from class', but even it is not
> yet implemented.

I am not talking about select * I am talking about
"select somefunc(supertable) from supertable"

create table supertable  (a int);
create table taba (b int) under supertable;

create function somefunc (tup supertable) returning int
as 'select 1' ...

create function somefunc (tup taba) returning int
as 'select 0.5*b' ....

> BTW, does Informix/Illustra do single or multiple inheritance
> with their
> UNDER?

Multiple, as I said they took Illustra (which was a parallel effort
to port Postgres to SQL).

Andreas