AW: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SEV
Subject AW: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>     I  don't know if there's a compression library available that
>     fit's our need. First and  most  important  it  must  have  a
>     license  that  permits  us  to include it in the distribution
>     under our existing license. Second it's  implementation  must
>     not  cause any problems in the backend like memory leakage or
>     the like.

LZO (Lempel-Ziv-Oberhuemer) sounds like a candidate.

http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/lzo.html

It is a realtime compressor, designed for real time
compression/decompression of data.
It is really fast, like >20 Mb/s decompressions are easily possible and has
a pretty good compression ratio,
almost as good as gzip, since it favours speed over ratio.

It seems to have a pretty safe and compatible license.

It comes with a gzip cmdline compatible program called lzop.

I really love it.
Andreas