Re: [HACKERS] Should libedit be preferred to libreadline? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Should libedit be preferred to libreadline?
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I'm concerned that this still gives nondeterministic behavior.  There's
> no way to say, "I want readline, period" or "I want libedit, period".
> I'd prefer simple --with-readline and --with-libedit, giving one turns
> off the other, giving both is an error.

OTOH that doesn't provide a way to express "I'll take either".  Given
that I'll-take-either has so far satisfied 99.44% of users, getting rid
of it doesn't seem like the best plan.

It might be possible to set things up so that you can specify "I'll take
either" by writing both switches, and further that the order in which
you write the switches determines the preference --- though I'm not
entirely sure how to do the latter within the autoconf framework.

            regards, tom lane