Re: pg_restore multiple --function options - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_restore multiple --function options
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> writes:
> As the code stands, you have to pass the argument types to the
> --function flag, ie. --function="myfunc(integer)". It's annoyingly picky
> about the spelling, as the it has to match exactly what pg_dump prints,
> but it does handle selecting one function from a group of overloaded
> ones.

Oh --- OK, I was misremembering.  I recalled that people weren't happy
with the handling of --function, but had the details wrong.

[pokes around]

I think really the issues are (1) it only works in pg_restore, not
pg_dump, and (2) there's no wildcard matching (the pickiness about
argument type name spelling being perhaps a subset of that).

It's probably true that accepting multiple patterns doesn't preclude
solving either of those, and indeed might help users work around (2).
So nevermind that objection.  But I still say this is all too late
for 9.3.