Re: Yet another issue with pg_upgrade vs unix_socket_directories - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Yet another issue with pg_upgrade vs unix_socket_directories
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yeah, I have resorted to putting something like
> export PGHOST=/tmp
> in all my test scripts, because the above-mentioned issues have affected
> Debian for a long time.  Welcome to the party. ;-)

Yeah, my current patch for Fedora does exactly that in pg_regress, and
has it force the test postmaster's unix_socket_directory as well.
The problem with pg_upgrade's shell script is that it's not going
through pg_regress: it launches some test postmasters directly, and
also fires up psql etc directly.  So it needs its own fix for this.

> It might actually be useful if the postmaster accepted PGHOST as the
> default value for the -k option, just like it accepts PGPORT.  Then this
> type setup will become much easier because clients and servers will use
> the same defaults.

Cute idea, but it'll fall down rather badly if PGHOST is a hostname...

There's no time to redesign this stuff for 9.2, but now that I've had
some exposure to the testing difficulties created by a nonstandard
default socket directory, I'm more interested in trying to fix these
issues in core.