Re: request for sql3 compliance for the update command - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: request for sql3 compliance for the update command
Date
Re: request for sql3 compliance for the update command  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> Are you against it just on grounds of cleanliness and ANSI compliance,
> or do you see more serious problems in letting it in ?

At this point it seems there are two different things being tossed
about.  I originally understood Dave to be asking for parens to be
allowed around individual target column names, which seems a useless
frammish to me.  What Bruce has pointed out is that a syntax that lets
you assign multiple columns from a single rowsource would be an actual
improvement in functionality, or at least in convenience and efficiency.
(It would also be a substantial bit of work, which is why I think this
isn't what Dave was offering a quick patch to do...)  What I'd like to
know right now is which interpretation Informix actually implements.

I don't like adding nonstandard syntaxes that add no functionality ---
but if Informix has done what Bruce is talking about, that's a different
matter altogether.