Re: proposal: custom variables management - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: proposal: custom variables management
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com> writes:
> * reset_custom_variable(cusvar);  ... set default from postgresql.conf
> * revoke_custom_variable(READ|MODIFY, cusvar, roleid);
> * grant_custom_variable(READ|MODIFY, cusvar, roleid);

This seems pointlessly complex.  An unprivileged user can only SET the
value within his own session, and if there are any reasons he shouldn't
be able to set it, the existing GUC protection categories seem
sufficient.  What's the use-case for all this new mechanism?

> Related discussion:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00153.php

Considering no one's bothered to implement that yet, I don't see that
there's a groundswell of demand for something more complicated.