Re: trigger/for key help - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: trigger/for key help
Date
List pgsql-sql
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Is there a reason postgres goes out of its way to pick names that
> will be harder to work with than necessary?

If we use ordinary identifiers for system-generated names then we will
be infringing on user name space --- ie, there's a potential for
conflict.  I suppose we could use long randomly-generated names like
ewjncm343cnlen, but are those really easier to work with?

I think a more useful approach is to treat it as a documentation
problem.  Perhaps an example in the ALTER TABLE man page would help.
        regards, tom lane