Re: Patch: Global Unique Index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: Global Unique Index
Date
Re: Patch: Global Unique Index
List pgsql-hackers
Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> writes:
> Do we need new syntax actually? I think that a global unique index can be created automatically instead of raising an
error"unique constraint on partitioned table must include all partitioning columns"

I'm not convinced that we want this feature at all: as far as I can see,
it will completely destroy the benefits of making a partitioned table
in the first place.  But if we do want it, I don't think it should be
so easy to create a global index by accident as that syntax approach
would make it.  I think there needs to be a pretty clear YES I WANT TO
SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FOOT clause in the command.