Re: referencing an attribute of a ROWTYPE variable in pgpsql using quote_ident or quote_literal - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: referencing an attribute of a ROWTYPE variable in pgpsql using quote_ident or quote_literal
Date
List pgsql-novice
"David Monarchi" <david.e.monarchi@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to dynamically assign values to attributes in a record without
> know which attribute values I will actually receive.

You're wasting your time trying to do that in plpgsql --- quite aside
from syntactic difficulties, the language doesn't work well for this
because it's statically typed.  Use one of the other PL languages.
In plperl, for instance, a record looks like a hash and it's easy to
iterate through the keys etc.

            regards, tom lane